Recently we attended a performance of “The Hiding Place”, a play about a Dutch family who hides Jews escaping from the Nazis. As we left the play, my wife said, “Sobering”. That was more than I could say at the time, very sobering indeed.
In general, I do not like movies or plays about the Nazi Holocaust. I feel that to dwell on the evil that was done can have the effect of making us think that we are somehow better than those people who did such obviously evil things. Spoiler alert: we are not better. I also suspect that seeing evil encourages some people to do evil things. There is no light in the darkness and nothing to be gained by seeing just how bad humans can be. However, there is much to be gained by learning about forgiveness and God’s grace. The more we learn about hope, love, and forgiveness, the better. Darkness cannot exist where there is light, and evil cannot flourish where there is love and understanding. That’s why I highly recommend “The Hiding Place”. It shines light into the darkness with its message of hope, forgiveness, and God’s grace.
As my mind recovered from the play’s intensity, I could not help but think about our current political turmoil. The best way for us to determine whether someone is doing evil or doing good is to judge him or her by what they do, not by what they say, or by what others say about them. The Bible says we will know if someone is good or bad by their “fruits”. Good fruit comes from good trees and bad fruit comes from bad trees. The Nazis are the very definition of bad trees. What was their “fruit”, what did they do? They:
- Rejected the idea of God, tried to ban God and organized religion, and persecuted Jews and Christians.
- Divided people by race, religion, disabilities, and commitment to Nazi beliefs.
- Killed millions of people, estimates range from 15 to 31 million.
- Prevented the people from being armed.
- Used violence to get what they wanted.
- Consolidated all power into one party.
- Controlled the media.
- Brainwashed young people using the education system.
- Created an all-powerful socialist government that controlled all aspects of life.
While some argue that Donald Trump is like Hitler, President Trump has:
- Encouraged freedom of religion.
- Reduced taxes and increased the number of jobs for all Americans, including African Americans and Hispanics.
- Killed no one, reduced the number of babies who are murdered in the womb, and has taken strong Pro-Life actions.
- Strongly supported the 2nd Amendment and the right to bear arms.
- Seen his supporters attacked by Antifa groups, and, despite what the media says, has not called for violence.
- Not obstructed the opposition party from conducting numerous investigations or from speaking out freely.
- Done nothing to undermine freedom of the press even though they have been relentlessly attacking him, his family, and his supporters.
- Has been vilified by much of public education.
- Has decreased the power of the federal government by eliminating numerous federal regulations, and has supported our Constitution by appointing judges who respect the limited powers granted to each branch of the national government.
On the other hand, the Democrat Party has:
- Encouraged the persecution of Christians whose faith conflicts with the Democrats views on abortion, homosexuality, and prayer.
- Divided their Party into a collection of special interest groups, and proposed persecuting people who do not accept Democrat views on climate change, abortion, homosexuality, and race.
- Strongly pushed for the continued murder of the weakest among us, the unborn, even though the science of when life begins is scientifically settled. Somewhere around 50 million babies have been killed since abortion became legal.
- Continued to try to take guns from law-abiding citizens.
- Refused to condemn the violent acts of groups like Antifa and Black Lives Matter.
- Refused to work with their opposition party on critical issues of national importance like trade, health care, border security, immigration reform, national defense, and voter fraud.
- Taken over the “main stream” media and used it to advance its agenda, and has pressured advertisers to abandon media outlets with opposing views.
- Used the education system to push radical views on climate change, the number of genders, and socialism.
- Made no secret of its desire to establish a Socialist government with broad powers over all aspects of life including health care, education, and energy.
I doubt the German people knew what they were really getting into when they first supported Hitler and the Nazis. The same is true of today’s support for Democrat Party policies. The danger posed by the policies of the current Democrat Party cannot be overstated. Those policies have already killed more innocent people than were killed by the Nazis. It may not be politically correct to say so, but it is true. The Nazis murdered up to 31 million innocent civilians. Legalized abortion has murdered 50 million. The Nazis and the modern political left justify these murders the same way: the right of the government to choose who decides who should die.
Donald Trump has forced the goals of the Democrats into the open for the first time since the Civil War. President Trump may well seem to be an unlikely person to lead us away from the current evil, but isn’t that the way it always is? Here we are with an imperfect man shining the light into the darkness. What we have to remember is that all of us are imperfect and we all have a choice, a basic choice between good and evil.
What would you have done if you were in Europe when the Nazis took over? Would you have been able to see what they wanted to do? Would you have resisted the Nazis?
Can you see what the Democrats are trying to do now?
Anyway, those are some of my thoughts after seeing the play. It is worth seeing, and worth thinking about.